- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bolam is a village which, since 1955, has been within the civil parish of Belsay in Northumberland, England. The village is about 20 miles (32 km) north-west of Newcastle upon Tyne, near the village of Bolam West Houses.
Bolam was an ancient parish with six townships as described below:
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bolam from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BOLAM, a township and a parish in Castle Ward [registration] district, Northumberland. The township lies between the rivers Blyth and Wansbeck, near the Devil's causeway, a branch of Watling-street, and on the Morpeth and Scots Gap railway, near Angerton station, 8 miles WSW of Morpeth. Acres: 1,119. Population: 102. Houses: 21.
- "The parish includes also the townships of Bolam vicarage, Trewick, Gallow Hill, Shortflatt, Harnham, Bradford, and Belsay; the last of which has a post office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acres: 7,336. Real property: £7,682. Pop.: 685. Houses: 136. The property is divided among a few. Bolam manor belonged anciently to the De Bolams; passed to the Horsleys; and went from them to Lord Decies. Harnham manor belonged, in the time of Charles II., to Colonel Philip Babbington, governor of Berwick. Belsay Castle belonged formerly to the Middletons; and belongs now to the baronet family of Monck. A stone coffin was found in a tumulus on Bolam moor. Coal and limestone occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £238. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, in good condition; and contains the effigies of a Knight Templar, supposed to be Sir Walter de Bolam, and a tomb of the Middletons."
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.