The text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia.
Bogarttown is a small community in the former Township of Whitchurch in York County (now York Region), Ontario, Canada. Specifically, it is located at Mulock Drive and Leslie Street between Bayview Avenue and Woodbine Avenue. It is roughly 40 km north of Toronto. Formerly a distinct rural hamlet, it is now a part of the Town of Newmarket, Ontario both administratively (since 1970) and more recently geographically owing to sprawling suburban development. The name is occasionally seen misspelled as Bogartown.
In 1805 John Bogart built a sawmill at the corner of what is now Mulock Road and Leslie Street. In following years a grist mill (1806) and woollen mill (1808) were added and a small community grew up around them. Bogart Pond is still there, though now surrounded by homes and condominiums, and the former community of Bogarttown has now all but been swallowed up by the rapid expansion of Newmarket.
The Bogarttown schoolhouse (built in 1857 and believed to be the oldest brick schoolhouse in the province) became the original site of the Whitchurch-Stouffville Museum in 1971, but was moved to the community of Vandorf, Ontario after expropriation in 1978 for the construction of Highway 404. The actual Highway 404 extension was not completed until 1989 and now passes directly over the school's former location.
Bogarttown never grew into a large town, most likely because it was bypassed by the railway in the 1850s, unlike Newmarket.
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1915 are now available [October 2014]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada, known to Canadians as "LAC". Copies of original microfilms are online at the LAC website for all censuses up to 1911. Each census database is preceded with an explanation of the geographical area covered, the amount of material retained (some census division material has been lost), the questions on the census form, and whether there is a name index. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited. The 1921 census is only available through Ancestry.ca, but it is free-to-view.
E-books and Books