|Alt names||Botingtune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 111|
|Botintone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 111|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Tewkesbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England||municipal district of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Boddington is a village and parish near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire, England. It is home to RAF Boddington. Since 1974 it has been located in the Tewkesbury District or Borough of Gloucestershire.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Boddington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BODDINGTON, a parish in Tewkesbury [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Chilt, 4 miles NW by W of Cheltenham [railway] station. It includes the township of Barrow; and has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres: 930. Real property: £1,670. Population: 392. Houses: 81. The manor belongs to Mrs. T. L. Blagdon; and has a curious old moated mansion. King Alfred fought his last battle with the Danes, in 893, "at the barrow" The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Staverton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient, and looks to be Norman, but is not really so."
Tewkesbury (1837 - 1937)
Cheltenham (1937- 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Boddington in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 8/Tewkesbury hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury (district), Gloucestershire, England | Tewkesbury Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Boddington, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!