Bloomingdale is a borough in Passaic County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 7,656, reflecting an increase of 46 (+0.6%) from the 7,610 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 80 (+1.1%) from the 7,530 counted in the 1990 Census.
Growth in Bloomingdale was driven by the development in the late 1860s of a rubber mill and other factories in neighboring Butler. The New Jersey Midland Railroad, later known as the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway, laid tracks adjacent to the settlement, with a Bloomingdale station located in what today is Riverdale. The northern section of Riverdale and most of Butler were known as East Bloomingdale and West Bloomingdale respectively during most of the 19th century. Despite crossing a county border, they also shared a school district and residents considered the whole area as "Bloomingdale" until about 1881 when a Post Office named Butler was designated. This began a period of rivalry which caused a schism between the residents of Butler and Bloomingdale resulting in separate schools, churches and even town bands.
Bloomingdale was incorporated as an independent borough on February 23, 1918, when Pompton Township was split up into three new municipalities along with Wanaque and Ringwood. Prior to that, the area was known as Bloomingdale throughout the 19th century and was initially a farming community starting about 1712 with the "Bloomingdale Forge" built shortly thereafter to take advantage of the iron in the hills. The business district along the Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike and the Pequannock River began about the middle of the 19th century.
Bloomingdale, like most municipalities in North Jersey, is a suburb of New York City. Some of the things that still link Bloomingdale to its past are its two churches (Methodist and Baptist), the Samuel R. Donald School (originally built in 1886) and the Bloomingdale Cornet Band continuously active since 1884.
The History of Bloomingdale can be found in three separate books published by the borough in 1958, 1968 and 1993. Additionally, more history can be found in microfilmed local newspapers located at the Butler Museum, the Morristown Library, the Paterson Library and the New Jersey State Archives.