|Located in||Worcestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Shipton-on-Stour Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1931|
|Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district to which Blockley was transferred in 1931|
|North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1935-1974|
|Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Blockley is a village and civil parish now in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, about 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Moreton-in-Marsh. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Draycott, Paxford and Aston Magna, and the deserted hamlets of Northwick and Upper Ditchford. According to the UK census of 2001, it had a population of close to 2,000.
Blockley village is on Blockley Brook, a tributary of Knee Brook. Knee Brook forms the northeastern boundary of the parish and is a tributary of the River Stour.
Until 1931 Blockley was an exclave or detached parish of Worcestershire. On the diagrammatic map on the right, Blockley is at the foot of the grey space between the parts of Campden Rural District. Following the passing of the Local Government Act 1929, county councils gained the power to adjust boundaries by negotiation, subject to ministerial approval. At a public inquiry in Cheltenham, a scheme was set up to transfer parishes between Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire in December 1930. The alterations required were approved by the House of Commons and came into force on 1 April 1931. Blockley was thus transferred from Worcestershire to Gloucestershire and became part of Campden Rural District.
In 1935 Campden Rural District was abolished and its area redistributed. The bulk of the district was merged with Stow-on-the-Wold urban and rural districts to form the new North Cotswold Rural District.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Shipton-on-Stour Rural, Worcestershire, England | Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire, England | Blockley, Worcestershire, England