|Alt names||Shotley High Quarter||source: alternate name for township|
|Type||Township, Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bywell St. Andrew, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Blanchland is a village in Northumberland, England, on the border with County Durham. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 UK census was 135.
Set beside the river in a wooded section of the Derwent valley, Blanchland is an attractive small village in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Blanchland was formed out of the medieval Blanchland Abbey property by Nathaniel Crew, 3rd Baron Crew, the Bishop of Durham, (1674-1722). It is a conservation village, largely built of stone from the remains of the 12th-century Abbey. It features picturesque houses, set against a backdrop of deep woods and open moors. Located near the Derwent Reservoir, it provides facilities for sailing and fishing.
Blanchland was the main village of the township and parish of Blanchland, which was also know as Shotley High Quarter. It was originally a township (and a chapelry) in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Andrew. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Blanchland became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides a long description of Blanchland from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Blanchland, Northumberland, England | Bywell St. Andrew, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England