- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Blaisdon is a village and civil parish located since 1974 in the Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire, England, about ten miles west of Gloucester. Its population in 2005 was estimated by Gloucestershire County Council to be 249. A estimate in 2012 placed the population at 420. The local church is dedicated to St. Michael.
In 1935 it absorbed the neighbouring parish of Flaxley.
A 19th Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Blaisdon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BLAISDON, a parish in Westbury-on-Severn [registration] district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Hereford railway, 2 miles SE of Longhope station, and 4 N of Newnham. Post Town, Longhope, under Newnham. Acres: 900. Real property: £1,656. Population: 282. Houses: 58. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: not reported. Patron: H. Crawshay, Esq. The church is early English. There is a national school."
Westbury-on-Severn (1837 - 1937)
Forest of Dean (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire chapter on Westbury Hundred, available online on the website British History Online. There is an article specifically on Blaisdon.
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Westbury-on-Severn Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Westbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Blaisdon, Gloucestershire, England | East Dean and United Parishes Rural, Gloucestershire, England | East Dean Rural, Gloucestershire, England
Help fund new features!