A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Blacon-cum-Crabhall [sic] from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Blacon was originally known as Blakon Hill and was owned by the Marquess of Crewe. The civil parish of Blacon-cum-Crabwall was formed in 1923, and on 1 April 1936, under the Cheshire County Review Order, 1936, most of the parish was transferred to Chester County Borough with the remainder going to the neighbouring parish of Mollington.
Blacon is a now large suburb in Cheshire, England situated adjacent to the Welsh border and is located on a hill, one mile to the north-west of, and overlooking Chester. The village is built on what was previously farming land and is surrounded by open countryside. Blacon has views across to the city centre of Chester and to the Welsh hills some twenty miles to the west. Other nearby places include Saughall to the north, Newtown-by-Chester to the north-east, Upton-by-Chester and to the east, the village of Mollington.
Crabwall Hall is a former country house, later a hotel, in the village of Mollington. The present building dates from the 18th century. It replaced an early 17th-century house built for the Gamul family. The house was originally a "modest brick cottage" and it was refaced in the early 19th century. It is constructed in orange and yellow brick with red sandstone dressings. The roof is in Welsh slate and there are three brick chimneys. The building is in two storeys, with an entrance front of three bays. At the corners are octagonal towers. The central bay protrudes and forms a two-storey porch; it is supported by diagonal buttresses. The tops of the porch and towers are crenellated. The building is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.