|Type||Township, Civil parish, Suburb|
|Located in||Durham, England|
|See also||Darlington, Durham, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Darlington Ward, Durham, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Darlington Rural, Durham, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1967|
|Hurworth, Durham, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1967|
|Darlington District, Durham, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Blackwell is a suburb in the Borough of Darlington and the ceremonial county of County Durham, England. It is situated towards the edge of the west end of Darlington, beside the River Tees. Blackwell consists of large 1930s style semi-detached and detached houses, and private, newly built homes.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
Blackwell was originally a township in the ancient parish of Darlington in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Darlington Rural District. In 1967 it was abolished and absorbed into the parish of Hurworth. Since 1974 the area is part of the larger non-metropolitan Borough of Darlington.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Blackwell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BLACKWELL, a township in Darlington parish, Durham; on the river Tees, near the Croftbridge railway, 1 ½ mile SW by S of Darlington. Acres: 1,499. Real property: £3,573. Population: 336. Houses: 62. Blackwell-Grange is the seat of the Allan family; and the death-place of George Allan, the antiquary. There is a Wesleyan chapel."
Categories: Durham, England | Blackwell, Durham, England | Darlington, Durham, England | Darlington Ward, Durham, England | Darlington Rural, Durham, England | Hurworth, Durham, England | Darlington District, Durham, England