Place:Black Heddon, Northumberland, England

NameBlack Heddon
Alt namesBlackheddonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.078°N 1.876°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoStamfordham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Belsay, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was transferred in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia


Black Heddon is a village in Northumberland, in England. It is situated to the north-west of Newcastle, between Stamfordham and Belsay.

According to local legend, the village was once haunted by a ghost named Silky, who used to jump onto travellers' horses. In nearby Belsay is a tree overlooking a waterfall which is known as Silky's Chair.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Black Heddon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BLACKHEDDON, a township in Stamfordham parish, Northumberland; on an affluent of the river Blyth, 11 miles SW of Morpeth. Acres: 1,619. Population: 68."

Black Heddon was a township in the ancient parish of Stamfordham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Belsay.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Black Heddon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.