Place:Black Carts with Ryehill, Northumberland, England

NameBlack Carts with Ryehill
Alt namesBlack Carts and Ryehillsource: name variation
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.029°N 2.154°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoSimonburn, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Hexham Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Humshaugh, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog

Black Carts and Ryehill

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Black Carts with Ryehill from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BLACK-CARTS-WITH-RYEHILL, an extra-parochial tract in Hexham district, Northumberland; near the Roman wall, 8½ miles NW of Hexham. Population: 19. Houses: 3."

Black Carts with Ryehill was a township in the ancient parish of Simonburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Humshaugh.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.