|Alt names||Bishop-Monkton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Monucheton||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 314|
|Monuchetone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 314|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Ripon Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1937|
|Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1937-1974|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||district municipality of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bishop Monkton is a village and civil parish in the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire, England, about five miles south of Ripon. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 775. It is within easy reach of Ripon and Harrogate. Littlethorpe and Burton Leonard are the nearest villages.
Historically, Bishop Monkton was in the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon in the Lower division of the wapentake of Claro. From 1894 until 1937, Bishop Monkton was located in Ripon Rural District and from 1937 until 1974 in Ripon and Pateley Bridge Rural District. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
- GENUKI on Bishop Monkton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Ripon provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Bishop Monkton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. The three listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.