Place:Bishop Burton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

NameBishop Burton
Alt namesBishop-Burtonsource: Family History Library Catalog
Burtonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
South Burtonsource: www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Bishopburton
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.834°N 0.508°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoBeverley Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which Bishop Burton was located 1894-1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bishop Burton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. The village lies on the A1079 road approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) to the west of the market town of Beverley.

According to the 2011 UK census, Bishop Burton parish had a population of 696, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 628.

The parish church of All Saints is a Grade II* listed building.

In a field to the east of the village is one of the medieval stone boundary markers for the sanctuary of Saint John of Beverley that is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

From 1894 until the municipal reorganization of 1974, Bishop Burton was located in Beverley Rural District. It was also the local ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Harthill.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bishop Burton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.