Place:Birlingham, Worcestershire, England

Watchers
NameBirlingham
TypeParish
Located inWorcestershire, England
Also located inHereford and Worcester, England     (1974 - 1998)
Worcestershire, England     (1998 - )
See alsoPershore (hundred), Worcestershire, Englandhundred of which the parish was a part
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Birlingham is a village and civil parish in the Wychavon district of Worcestershire, England, about three miles south of Pershore. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 325. It is situated on a loop in the River Avon, surrounded by it to the north, east and south.

Birlingham has a village pub, The Swan, a picturesque cricket pitch on the village green, and St James Parish Church.

The Court House is an 18th-century manor house on the edge of the village. Past residents have included Major Lord Charles Cavendish Bentinck, who was Master of the Croome Hunt, and Major General Amherst who sold the property in 1812 to the Porter family. The 11th Earl of Coventry stayed at The Court House in 1930-31 while his home at Croome Court was being renovated. Sammy Davis Junior and Peter Lawford rented the house in 1968 whilst filming ‘Salt and Pepper’ in Worcestershire.

Research Tips

  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
  • A History of the County of Worcester: Volume 4 edited by William Page and J W Willis-Bund covers the city of Worcester, as well as parishes in the hundreds of Pershore and Doddingtree, in the south and west of the county. These include the towns of Pershore, Great Malvern and Hanley Castle. (Victoria County History - Worcestershire. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1924, and available free online from British History Online)
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Birlingham. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.