- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Binsey is a village by the River Thames about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) northwest of the centre of Oxford. It is the opposite side of the river from Port Meadow and about 1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of the ruins of Godstow Abbey.
Binsey was a separate civil parish within Oxford County Borough until 1926 when it was wholly absorbed into the city.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Binsey, Oxfordshire.
- Victoria County History of Oxfordshire, volume 4, chapter entitled "Outlying Parts of the Liberty", has a section on Binsey and a map of all the liberties of Oxford, most of which became separate parishes before being completely merged into the city corporation.
- Oxfordshire History Centre, St Luke's Church, Temple Road, Oxford, OX4 2HT
- Oxfordshire FHS covers the whole county. The Family History Society provides an interactive map to assist in locating individual parishes and also relates the society's progress in transcribing parish registers and gravestone information for that particular parish. Browse the website to see what else the society can provide.
- Further information from GENUKI
- Ordnance Survey map of Oxfordshire 1900 provided by A Vision of Britain through Time
- Ordnance Survey map of Oxfordshire 1944 provided by A Vision of Britain through Time
- English Jurisdictions 1851, a parish finding aid provided by FamilySearch, particularly helpful in large towns and cities.