Bingfield likely developed from a farming community in the early 19th century, since most of the buildings date to that era. There was a school in Bingfield, and a church which dates to the late 18th/early 19th century. Bingfield remained largely unchanged from the mid 19th century until after the Second World War. The change began with mechanisation which led to the number of farms being reduced with redundant farm buildings converted into houses for people with no attachment to farming.
Bingfield was a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Whittington.