|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Lee St. John, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Whittington, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bingfield is a village in Northumberland, England. It is situated to the north of Corbridge, off the A68 road with some properties situated on the A68 (Dere Street).
Bingfield likely developed from a farming community in the early 19th century, since most of the buildings date to that era. There was a school in Bingfield, and a church which dates to the late 18th/early 19th century. Bingfield remained largely unchanged from the mid 19th century until after the Second World War. The change began with mechanisation which led to the number of farms being reduced with redundant farm buildings converted into houses for people with no attachment to farming.
Bingfield was a township in the ancient parish of Lee St. John. In 1866 it became a separate civil parish. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 it was abolished as a civil parish and its area was absorbed into the parish of Whittington.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Bingfield, Northumberland, England | Lee St. John, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Whittington, Northumberland, England