Binbrook is a "compact rural area" located in the former Binbrook Township in Wentworth County in southern Ontario. Binbrook Township joined with its neighbouring Township of Glanford to form the Municpality of Glanbrook which existed within the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth (1974-2001). Since 2001 the area is a part of the new single-tier City of Hamilton.
Binbrook is a small community in southeastern Hamilton, Ontario in Canada. It was amalgamated into the city of Hamilton in 2001. Since 2001, hundreds of new homes have been built in Binbrook, separated from Hamilton by conservation and agricultural lands.
Armstrong's General Store was a longtime centre of community activity as was the feed mill. In the 1960s, Cybulski's Grocery Store became a hub for the small community. Knox Presbyterian Church, as well as a Baptist Church, and Anglican Church all are near the centre of the village.
The first registry of Binbrook is in 1791 when it was called Township #11 in the District of Nassau. The plan can be found in the Department of Lands and Forests, Toronto, dated October 25, 1791 where it lists four concessions and blocks divided amongst several families.
Binbrook farmers' market, open seasonally, has become a highly anticipated event that highlights local growers and artisans. The Market takes place at the Fairgrounds which holds a special place in Canadian history as being the host of one of North America's oldest Fall fairs. The Fairgrounds and Agricultural Hall are home to many community events and lay at the centre of the community.
The Binbrook Little Theatre, which is across from the Agricultural hall, is home to local productions which highlight the creativity and culture of the area. The theatre gives opportunities to those wanting to explore their acting potential on the stage, and puts on monthly productions.
There is also a public library, a recently built community centre, arena, soccer fields, and the Binbrook Conservation area.
The Binbrook Conservation Area is a 396-hectare (978 acre) tract of land owned and operated by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority. Of this area, 174 hectares (430 acres) is covered by picturesque Lake Niapenco. The area was purchased by the NPCA in 1968. The lake was formed after completion of the dam that was built in 1971. The dam was built to augment the summer water flow in the Welland River and to provide seasonal flood control.
The lake is surrounded by open meadows, hardwood forests and reforested areas. At one time, there were campgrounds at the conservation area. The old campground access roads now provide the basis for many of the hiking trails at the Binbrook Conservation Area. Recently the Park has had the addition of Wake Boarding offering area residents a chance to enjoy the surf at this otherwise, quiet and serene, lake.
The population of Binbrook has more than tripled since 2006 when the population was slightly below 1,000. The current estimated population is over 3,000 with continued growth anticipated. The continued growth has attracted many businesses to the area including; Freshco, Tim Hortons and Shoppers Drug Mart.
The community still has it's roots in farming and new residents continue to support the local farming community while encouraging the vitality and growth of the village.
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1915 are now available [October 2014]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada, known to Canadians as "LAC". Copies of original microfilms are online at the LAC website for all censuses up to 1911. Each census database is preceded with an explanation of the geographical area covered, the amount of material retained (some census division material has been lost), the questions on the census form, and whether there is a name index. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited. The 1921 census is only available through Ancestry.ca, but it is free-to-view.
E-books and Books
Some websites with more local information on Wentworth County