|Name||Bilton (near Harrogate)|
|Alt names||Biletone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 313|
|Billeton||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 313|
|Billetone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 313|
|Type||Suburb, Civil parish|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Knaresborough Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1938|
|Harrogate, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1938|
|Harrogate District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district in which it is located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: It is easy to confuse Bilton (near Harrogate) with Bilton in Ainsty with Bickerton, situated some miles to the east between Wetherby and the City of York. There is yet another Bilton (named Bilton in Holderness to differentiate) east of Hull in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bilton is now a major suburb of Harrogate, North Yorkshire, situated to the north-east of the town centre. It is one of the oldest areas of Harrogate, with many buildings dating from before Harrogate itself. John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 described Bilton as Bilton-with-Harrogate. Since its foundation as a number of separate villages, it has grown greatly over the decades and is now characterised by a mix of dense terraced housing, semi-detached housing estates from the mid-20th century and larger detached houses on the fringe.
Historically, Bilton was in the ecclesiastical parish of Knaresborough in the Lower division of the Claro Wapentake. From 1894 until 1938, the civil parish was located in Knaresborough Rural District. In 1938 it was absorbed into the Civil Parish of Harrogate. In 1974 the area became part of the Harrogate District of North Yorkshire.
The page, Knaresborough Rural District, has an outline map of all the civil parishes in the district.
- GENUKI on Bilton. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Knaresborough provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Bilton.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. Those listed here provide data for the part of the West Riding that transferred to North Yorkshire in 1974 plus the northern parts of Leeds and Bradford. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey Northern part of the West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the northern part of the West Riding (mostly Settle, Skipton, Ripon and Pateley Bridge, and Nidderdale, with sections of Wharfedale and Wetherby) after the revisions of 1935.