- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-1872:
- "BILSDALE, a mountain-vale, a township, a hamlet, two constablewicks, and a chapelry in Helmsley district, [North Riding of] Yorkshire. The vale begins about 5 miles SE by S of Stokesley; and extends 11 miles southward to Rivaulx, 3½ miles NW of Helmsley. Its head is overhung by Whinston and Botton-Head, mountains 2,300 and 1,485 feet high; and its sides are flanked by other heights, and cut by lateral vales. The view at its head is very magnificent; and the scenery in some other parts of it is grand.-The township is called Bilsdale-Midcable; the hamlet, Bilsdale-Kirkham; the constablewicks, Bilsdale-East-side and Bilsdale-High-Westside; and all are in the vale or on its sides.—The chapelry also is called Bilsdale-Midcable; and it includes all the Bilsdales, and likewise the hamlets of Crossett, Chapelgate, Chapelgate and Urra, and the constablewick of Raisdale: and is in the parish of Helmsley. . . .
- "The nearest railway station to it is Stokesley; and the nearest Post Towns: Stokesley, under Northallerton, and Helmsley: under York. Acres: 18,971. Real property: £4,018. Population: 738. Houses: 126. The property is not much divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value: £130. Patron: the Vicar of Helmsley. The church is good; and there is a Quakers' chapel."
Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Bilsdale West Side was part of Helmsley Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Hawnby in the Birdforth Wapentake.
GENUKI also provided information on Bilsdale West Side.
Co-ordinates are very approximate. Bilsdale West Side itself is not found on Google Earth.
Help fund new features!