Bilbrough is a village and civil parish in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England, six miles south-west of York, and just outside the York city boundary. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 319.
Since 1974 Bilbrough is part of the Appleton Roebuck Ward of Selby District Council. Its own parish council covers the nearby villages of Colton and Steeton. Prior to the nationwide municipal re-organization of 1974, Bolton Percy was part of Tadcaster Rural District Council; and prior to 1894 it was one of the parishes in the Ainsty, the rural area to the west and south of the City of York.
The name means, The fortress of the Bila, who were a tribe of the pre-Norman era, who were known to reside in the North of England.
The village and the surrounding Parish has an area of 1,390 acres and was mostly the property of the Fairfax family from the 14th century onwards.Thomas Fairfax, parliamentary commander-in-chief during the English Civil War, is buried here in a tomb inside the Fairfax Chapel within the village church, beside his wife Anne, daughter of Lord Vere, Baron of Tilbury. Other notable landowners of the Parish included Richard Basy, an MP for York in the late 13th century.
Bilbrough Manor, built in 1902 for Guy Thomas Fairfax, is a Grade II listed building. The original Manor House, now a farmhouse, was built in 1670 for Thomas Fairfax. It is known that the former MP and Lord Mayor of York, Admiral Robert Fairfax, resided at this Manor. It was destroyed by fire in 1832.
In 1881 the population was 198.
The village is the subject of a 17th-century poem, Upon the hill and grove at Bilbrough, written by English metaphysical poet and politician, Andrew Marvell.