Place:Bicester Kings End, Oxfordshire, England

NameBicester Kings End
Alt namesBicester King's Endsource: variant spelling
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inOxfordshire, England     ( - 1932)
See alsoPloughley Hundred, Oxfordshire, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Bicester, Oxfordshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1932
Chesterton, Oxfordshire, Englandcivil parish into which it was part absorbed in 1932
source: Family History Library Catalog

Bicester Kings End was a civil parish covering the western part of Bicester until 1932. The two townships of Bicester Kings End and Bicester Market End were separated by the River Bure. Kings End (or King's End) covered an area of 1,458 acres. In 1932 approximately one-third of the area was absorbed into Bicester civil parish and the remaining two-thirds was transferred to Chesterton civil parish. The changes are best illustrated by comparing the Ordnance Survey maps of 1900 and 1944 (links below).

the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

King's End had a substantially lower population than Market End and none of the commercial bustle found on the other side of the Bure. The manorial lords, the Cokers, lived in the manor house from 1584. The house had been rebuilt in the early 18th century remodelled in the 1780s. The park was enlarged surrounded by a wall after 1753 when a range of buildings on the north side of King's End Green were demolished by Coker. A westward enlargement of the park also extinguished the road that followed the line of the Roman road. This partly overlapped a pre-1753 close belonging to Coker. The effect of the enlargement of the park was to divert traffic at the Fox Inn through King's End, across the causeway to Market Square and Sheep Street before returning to the Roman road north of Crockwell.

For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bicester.

Research Tips