The hamlet of Bescaby lies close to Waltham on the Wolds. Bescaby was formerly an ex-parochial manor belonging to the Dukes of Rutland, later constituted a civil parish, and in 1871 had a population of 31 persons, living in 4 houses, on about 1,200 acres (4.9 km2) of land. It was previously the demesne of Croxton Abbey, near which stood some extensive buildings, surrounded by a moat. Traces of these buildings are still to be seen near a place called Friars' Walk. William Furnival held the manor in 1382.
The chief branch of the river Eye has its source in the locality, near Bescaby Oaks. It is a "fine spring of hard water which flows in front of Bescaby House, the residence of John Edward Bright".
Bescaby was part of the Melton Mowbray [Rural Sanitary] Union, which comprised 56 parishes and was replaced in 1894 by Melton Mowbray Rural District. In 1935 Melton Mowbray Rural District joined with Belvoir Rural District to become Melton and Belvoir Rural District. The following year Bescaby was abolished and the area was absorbed into the adjoining parish of Sproxton. The rural district structure was abandoned in 1974 and replaced by a series of non-metropolitan districts--in this case, Melton District.