Berlin is a town in Worcester County, Maryland, United States. The population was 4,485 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The town of Berlin had its start around the 1790s, part of the Burley Plantation, a land grant dating back to 1677. The name Berlin is believed to be derived from a contraction of "Burleigh Inn", a tavern located at the crossroads of the Philadelphia Post Road (now South Main Street) and Sinepuxent Road (Tripoli Street). This may be why the traditional pronunciation of the town's name is , as opposed to the more modern pronunciations and . The traditional pronunciation is rarely heard today.
Berlin incorporated as a town in 1868. In the early 20th century, Berlin was known as a rest stop for travelers on their way to the coastal resort of Ocean City as well as a stop for tourists who enjoyed hunting and fishing on the lower Eastern Shore of Maryland.
Since the late 1980s the town has undergone considerable revitalization of its historic downtown commercial district and adjacent residential areas. Berlin's historic residential areas feature nearly two centuries of architectural heritage from three distinct periods: Federal, Victorian, and 20th Century. 47 of these structures have been noted in the National Register of Historic Places as well as the historic commercial district. Berlin has also been designated as a "Main Street Community" by the State of Maryland in recognition of its revitalization progress.
In 2010, the Berlin Fire Company celebrated its 100th anniversary. As of 2010, The Berlin Fire Company provided fire and EMS service to Berlin and the surrounding area, has three stations, 16 pieces of apparatus, approximately 70 volunteers, 9 career EMS providers, and responds to approximately 2,000 calls per year.