Bergen is a town in Genesee County, New York, United States. The town is in the northeast corner of the county. The population was 3,120 at the 2010 census. There is also a village of Bergen in the town.
Bergen is the second smallest town in Genesee County, New York.
The town of Bergen was part of the Triangle Tract and the 100,000 Acre Tract (or the Connecticut Tract) in the Morris Reserve. It is a portion of the triangular tract sold to Le Roy and others from the Morris Reserve; and it contains two tiers of lots from the Connecticut tract. The latter are in the western part of the town. The community was named for the city in Norway.
Bergen was erected from the town of Murray (which was divided into three towns) on April 2, 1813. It was also part of the town of Northampton. Byron was part of Bergen until 1820.
In 1820, part of Bergen was used to form the town of Byron.
After the railroad came through in 1836, an area was laid out around the intersection of Lake Road (Route 19) and the railroad for businesses and houses. It was called Wardville after the Levi Ward family who laid it out. It was also called Cork, after the Irish who settled there while and after the building of the railroad, and Lower Bergen. The two areas were soon connected by residences and churches.
Fire initially destroyed the business area around the railroad tracks in 1866.
This area, along with the surrounding residences was incorporated in on March 5, 1877 as the village of Bergen. The village of Bergen is located near the center of the eastern boundary line, on the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad.
Fire destroyed the business area around the railroad tracks again in 1880. The Village Board passed an ordinance requiring that all structures in this area should be built of brick or stone or wrought iron.
The west side of the district south of the railroad is on the National Register due to its 1880 wrought iron store fronts, transom windows and probably, also, because of the famous family who founded "Wardville". Some of the family went on from Bergen to the Rochester area and were also primary developers of that area.
Due to the building material and better fire fighting equipment, another in 1906 destroyed only some of the buildings on the west side of the street. A fire in 1932 leveled some of the buildings on the east side of the street. Since then fires in individual buildings have caused some alteration of the facade of the buildings.
When glaciers of the fourth ice age retreated from the northeast corner of New York State 125,000 years ago, they left behind of forested wetlands now known as the Bergen Swamp. The three-mile (5 km) long wildlife area is home to dozens of species of unusual birds, reptiles and rare flowers that thrive in an undisturbed, natural environment.