|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Mitford, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Hebron, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
|Newminster, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Benridge from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Benridge.-- township, Mitford parish, N. Northumberland, 2 miles NW. of Morpeth, 1092 acres, population 60."
Benridge was a township in the ancient parish of Mitford. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Morpeth Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was mostly absorbed into the parish of Hebron with a small part going to Newminster.
NOTE: John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72 (also provided by A Vision of Britain through Time) describes Benridge as a hamlet in Ponteland parish. Maps have been checked to confirm that Benridge was part of Mitford parish, not Ponteland.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Benridge, Northumberland, England | Mitford, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Ward, Northumberland, England | Morpeth Rural, Northumberland, England | Hebron, Northumberland, England | Newminster Abbey, Northumberland, England