Place:Benhall, Suffolk, England

Watchers


NameBenhall
TypeUnknown
Coordinates52.199506°N 1.480966°E
Located inSuffolk, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Benhall is a village and civil parish in the Suffolk Coastal district of Suffolk, England. Located to the south of Saxmundham, in 2007 its population was estimated to be 560.[1]

Benhall is split into two; one side of the A12 road is Benhall Low Street, whereas the other is Benhall Green. Benhall Green has a small primary school and a playgroup.

The manor of Benhall was granted in 1086 to Robert de Malet, and has since had a long and complicated history, having been owned by many of the most powerful people of their time, including the De La Poles, the Howards and King Henry VIII.

The great house of the area is Benhall Lodge. A manor house had existed on the Benhall estate since at least 1225, when it was fortified by Ralph de Sunderland. Long known as Benhall Lodge, the house has been rebuilt by various Lords of the Manor - including Sir Edward Duke in 1638, in 1790 by William Beaumaris Rush, and then by Edward Hollond esq, in 1810. The mansion house has suffered serious fires in 1885 and in 1967, and was restored and slightly remodelled after each.

The walled kitchen garden of the country house is now a separate business concern, but the house itself and the surrounding gardens and parkland remains private residential property.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Benhall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.