|Name||Bengeworth St. Peter|
|Alt names||Bengeworth||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Blackenhurst Hundred, Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Evesham, Worcestershire, England||town to which it was annexed in 1924|
|Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Bengeworth is a locality adjoining Evesham in Worcestershire, England. In 1887 it had a population of 1,311. Today it has a school and an Anglican church.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bengeworth St. Peter from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BENGEWORTH-ST. PETER, a parish in Evesham [registration] district, Worcester; on the river Avon, and the Ashchurch and Evesham railway, with a [railway] station, 1-1/4 mile SW of Evesham. Post Town: Evesham. Acres, returned with Evesham. Real property: £6,720. Population: 1,259. Houses: 254. The property is not much divided. A castle here belonged to the Beauchamps; and was destroyed, in 1156, by the Abbot of Evesham. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £158. Patron: the Rev. W. Harker. The church occupies the site of the Beauchamps' castle; and is a substantial edifice, with a handsome tower and spire. A school endowed by John Deacle, a native of Bengeworth and an alderman of London, has an income of £256; and other charities have £86."
In 1924 it was formally annexed to the town of Evesham.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Bengeworth St. Peter, Worcestershire, England | Blackenhurst Hundred, Worcestershire, England | Evesham, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England