|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Bolam, Northumberland, England||ancient parish of which it was part|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient division in which it was located|
|Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England||diistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Belsay is a village in Northumberland, England. It is situated about 5 miles from Ponteland on the A696 road which links the village with Newcastle upon Tyne and Jedburgh in Scotland. The population of the civil parish was 436 at the 2001 UK census, increasing to 518 at the 2011 UK census.
Scottish nobleman and doctor John de Strivelyn was granted the manor around 1340 by Edward III. On his death, the estate passed to his daughter, who was married to Sir John Middleton, and has remained with the Middleton family since.
Belsay is home to Belsay Castle, a fine medieval castle, and to Belsay Hall, home of the family of Sir Charles Monck (1779-1867).
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Belsay from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BELSAY, a township in Bolam parish, Northumberland; on the river Blyth, 9 ½ miles SW of Morpeth. It has a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Acres: 2,516. Population: 384. Houses: 74. Belsay Castle, the ancient seat of the Middletons, now the property of Sir M. L. Monck, Bart., is an old tower, with additions made by Sir Middleton in 1628. The pile measures 56½ feet from N to S, and 47 ¼. from E to W; has four projecting turrets, three of them round, the other square; terminates in a corbelled parapet; and contains, on the first floor, a solar 43 feet long, 21½ wide, and 17 high."
It is noted that the descriptions from Wikipedia and that from Wilson's Gazetteer differ.
Belsay was originally a township in the parish of Bolam and became a civil parish in 1866. It became part of Castle Ward Rural District in 1894, and of the Castle Morpeth District when it was initiated in 1974. In 1955 it absorbed the following parishes:
- Bitchfield, area: 739 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Black Heddon, area: 1668 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Bolam, area: 1120 acres; Castle Ward
- Bolam Vicarage, area: 139 acres; Castle Ward
- Bradford (near Morpeth), area: 1094 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Gallow Hill, area: 627 acres; Morpeth Ward
- Harnham, area: 702 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Ingoe, area: 114 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Newham (near Morpeth), area: 1347 acres; Castle Ward
- Shortflatt, area: 518 acres; Tynedale Ward
- Trewick, area: 763 acres; Castle Ward
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Belsay, Northumberland, England | Bolam, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, England | Castle Morpeth District, Northumberland, England