Belmont is a village within the Town of Amity which is in Allegany County, New York, USA. Belmont is the county seat of Allegany County. The population was 969 at the 2010 census. The name means beautiful hill. The Village of Belmont is centrally located in Amity. The village is northeast of Olean, New York.
The Village of Belmont was incorporated in 1871 as Philipsville, named after early settler Philip Church. The settlement was originally called Philipsburg. When the village assumed the community of Miltonville on the east bank of the Genesee River, it was renamed Belmont.
The village became the county seat in 1859, replacing the Village of Angelica.
The following are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Belmont Grange No. 1243, Belmont Literary and Historical Society Free Library, and the Belmont Hotel.