Place:Bellerose, Nassau, New York, United States

Watchers


NameBellerose
TypeVillage
Coordinates40.723°N 73.716°W
Located inNassau, New York, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Bellerose is an incorporated village in Nassau County, New York, in the United States. The population was 1,193 at the 2010 census.

The Incorporated Village of Bellerose is in the Town of Hempstead, New York and borders Queens County in the City of New York.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The village was founded by Helen Marsh of Lynn, Massachusetts. In 1907, planning to build a model community, Marsh purchased of Floral Park gladiola fields. The first Bellerose home was completed, under Marsh's supervision, in 1910. Marsh persuaded the Long Island Rail Road to place a station in the new village, and she named the station Bellerose. Though it has been suggested that she named the station for the Rose farm, south of the railroad, and her daughter Belle, she said that she simply found the name "euphonious". A vote of the homeowners made the name official in 1917.

Bellerose Village has its own mayor and Board of trustees. Thomas Van Buskirk served as mayor for 12 years, from 1993 until 2004. During his tenure he was responsible for the installation of a town playground, the purchase of a new fire truck and chief's car, the re-modeling of the town hall and many other projects.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bellerose, New York. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.