Village of Belle Valley
Belle Valley is an incorporated village in the central part of the township of Noble, county of Noble, state of Ohio, United States of America. It is situated along West Fork of Duck Creek in section 20 of township 7, range 9 (1st Congressional Survey).
In 1872 Benton Thorla opened a store on his farm where Belle Valley now stands. Three years later, he had the village surveyed and divided into lots by William Lowe. The Bell Valley (later Belle Valley) Post Office was established on 9 Dec. 1872, with Mr. Thorla as postmaster. The village was a telegraph station on both the Cleveland & Marietta and the B. Z. & C. Railroads.
The Methodist Protestant church was organized in 1883, and the house of worship erected in the spring and summer of the same year, at a cost of about $1500.
Being only four miles from Caldwell, the growing county seat gradually drew the trade away and Belle Valley mere held its own for two decades, but in 1903 the village took on a new lease of life by the opening of the McKee coal mines, and about doubled its population in less than a year.