Place:Belford, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameBelford
TypeTownship, Parish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates55.6°N 1.817°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - )
Also located inDurham, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoBamburgh, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Detchant, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Easington, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Easington Grange, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Elwick, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Middleton, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Ross, Northumberland, Englandtownship included in the ancient parish
Mousen, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish added to Belford in 1955
Warenton, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish added to Belford in 1955
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Belford is a village and civil parish surrounded by rich pastoral farmland, in Northumberland, England, about halfway between Alnwick and Berwick upon Tweed, a few miles inland from the east coast and just off the Great North Road, the A1. At the 2001 UK census it had a population of 1,055, increasing to 1,258 at the 2011 UK Census.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Belford from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BELFORD, a small town, a township, a parish, a [registration] subdistrict, and a [registration] district, in Northumberland. The town stands on a gentle eminence, about a mile W of a [railway] station of its own name on the Northeastern railway, 15 ¼. Miles SSE of Berwick. It is neatly built; contains a church, two dissenting chapels, and a workhouse; has a head post office, a market-place, and two chief inns; and is a seat of petty sessions. The church was lately rebuilt, is in the early English style, and has a lofty tower. A weekly market is held on Wednesday; fairs, on Tuesday before Whitsunday and 23 Aug.; and races, in September.
"The township includes the town, and comprises 2,698 acres. Population: 1,067. Houses: 204.
"The parish includes also the townships of Ross, Elwick, Easington, Easington-Grange, Middleton, and Detchant. Acres: 11,604; of which 2,224 are water. Real property: £11,901. Population: 1,724. Houses: 329. The property is divided among five. Belford Hall is the seat of the Rev. J. D. Clark. Coal, lime, and freestone occur. Traces of an ancient chapel are on a rising-ground near the town; and remains of a very strong Danish camp, encompassed by a deep ditch, are not far distant. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £147. Patron, the Rev. J. D. Clark." [Data for the registration sub-district and the registration district have been omitted.]

No information has been found as to when Belford ceased being part of Bamburgh ancient parish, save the word "early" in A Vision of Britain through Time.

GENUKI's list of registration districts states that it was a detached portion of County Durham transferred to Northumberland in 1844.

In 1955 Belford absorbed the civil parishes of Mousen and Warenton which were abolished at that time.


Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Belford, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.