Place:Belbroughton, Worcestershire, England

Watchers


NameBelbroughton
TypeUnknown
Located inWorcestershire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Belbroughton is a village and civil parish in the Bromsgrove District of Worcestershire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 2,380. It is about six miles north of Bromsgrove, six miles east of Kidderminster and four miles south of Stourbridge, in Worcestershire. The villages of Clent are nearby.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Belbroughton was at the core of the North Worcestershire scythe-making district. Many of the mills of the area were formerly blade mills used for sharpening them, after a scythesmith had forged them from iron, with a thin strip of steel along the cutting edge. From the late 18th century until about 1870, the Waldron family of Field House Clent were the leading manufacturers. They were succeeded by Isaac Nash, whose business finally closed in about 1970. Scythes were formerly not just made in Belbroughton, but also several adjacent parishes, including Chaddesley Corbett.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Belbroughton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.