|Alt names||Bedlingtonshire||source: old name for parish|
|Chambois||source: township in parish|
|Netherton in Bedlington||source: township in parish|
|North Blyth||source: township in parish|
|Sleekburn||source: townships in parish|
|East Sleakburn||source: township in parish (spelling variant)|
|West Sleakburn||source: township in parish (spelling variant)|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Urban district|
|Located in||Northumberland, England (1844 - )|
|Also located in||Durham, England ( - 1844)|
|See also||Wansbeck District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The place-name "Bedlington" is first attested circa 1050 in a biography of Saint Cuthbert, where it appears as "Bedlingtun". The name means "the town of Bedla's people".
Bedlington and the hamlets belonging to it were bought by Cutheard, bishop of Durham, between 900 and 915, and although locally situated in the county of Northumberland, it became part of the county palatine (from Lat. palatium, a palace) of Durham, over which Bishop Walcher was granted royal rights by William the Conqueror.
When these rights were taken from Cuthbert Tunstall, Bishop of Durham, in 1536, Bedlington among his other properties, lost its special privileges, but was confirmed to him in 1541 with the other property of his predecessors. Together with the other lands of the see of Durham, Bedlington was made over to the ecclesiastical commissioners in 1866. Bedlingtonshire was made part of Northumberland for civil purposes by acts of parliament in 1832 and 1844.
Bedlington became an industrial town with an iron works and several coal mines, however subsequent closure of this industries in the latter half of the 20th century caused the town to undergo many changes, becoming more of a dormitory town for those working in the surrounding areas.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bedlington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BEDLINGTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Morpeth Northumberland. The township lies on the river Blythe, and on the Morpeth and Tynemouth railway, 5 miles SE of Morpeth; it includes an irregularly built village, chiefly of one spacious street, about a mile long, commanding a fine sea-ward view; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office under Morpeth, and is a seat of petty sessions. The monks of Durham, at the Conquest, when fleeing to Lindisfarne with the remains of St. Cuthbert, rested a night here.
- "The parish includes also the townships of North Blyth, Chambois, Choppington, Netherton, and East and West Sleakburn; and, prior to October 1844, it formed part of the county of Durham. Acres: 9,011; of which 523 are water. Real property: £45,326; of which £29,937 are in mines. Population in 1841: 3,155; in 1861: 8,328. Houses: 1,490. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Crown, and passed to the Bishops of Durham. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the coal-trade, in quarrying-works, in ironworks, and in chain and nail making. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £600. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was repaired and enlarged in 1818. The vicarages of Chambois and Choppington are separate charges. There are chapels for Presbyterians, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. There is also a mechanics' institution. The Rev. F. Woodmas, the expositor of Chrysostom, was vicar from 1696 to 1710."
Until 1844 Bedlington was considered to be part of County Durham. It became an Urban District in 1894 (when urban districts were initiated) and continued as such up until 1974 when urban districts were replaced by non-metropolitan districts. It was part of the Wansbeck District from 1974 until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
The only township to have an article in WeRelate is Choppington. All of the others have been redirected to Bedlington. North Blyth is the strip between the North Sea and Blyth on the map above.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.