|Located in||Kent, England|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Bean is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Dartford in Kent, England. The village, the centre of the parish, is about three miles east of Dartford town centre. The parish is bounded on the north by the A2 road (the Roman Watling Street), and on the other three sides by ancient woodlands. It is the most recently formed of Kent parishes, although the village itself has been recorded since at least the 13th Century.
Bean was formerly part of the parish of Stone, but the boundary was such that it was connected to the rest of Stone by only a narrow neck of land at Watling Street (A2). In 1797 this part of the parish of Stone is described as having great tract of woodland which reached almost to Green Street Green, adjoining to Darenth parish. Along the northern boundary of these woods, runs the ancient Roman road to Rochester (now the A2) and not far from this road were the two small hamlets of Bean and Stonewood. On the hill above Green Street Green, among the woods, were the remains of a camp and fortifications, thrown up in ancient times, but then so overgrown with wood and rubbish, as to be impenetrable.
The parish church is in Southfleet and dedicated to St Nicholas (Bean now being attached to the Southfleet ecclesiastic parish).
The parish of Bean had a population of 1,709 according to the 2001 census, although a 1986 proposal, since scrapped, would have led to one of 5000 persons.