Baulking or Balking is a village and civil parish about southeast of Faringdon in the Vale of White Horse district of Oxfordshire. It was part of Berkshire until the 1974 Boundary Changes transferred it to Oxfordshire.
The parish is bounded to the north and north-west by the River Ock, to the south by its tributary Stutfield Brook and to the east by field boundaries. The village is arranged along a large, elongated village green running north – south, on the side of a slight rise of land bounded on two sides by a bend in the river.
Balking is an ancient form of the toponym, dating from the 10th century. Other forms from the same century were Bedelacing and Bedelakinges. 12th century forms included Badeleking and Badeking. Further forms were Batheleking in the 13th century, Bauking in the 16th century and Bawlkin in the 17th century.
Baulking was in the Shrivenham Hundred, and at one time, within the parish of Uffington. It was in the Faringdon Poor Law Union. From 1894 until 1974 the parish was located in the Faringdon Rural District and since 1974 in the Vale of White Horse District of Oxfordshire.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Baulking.
Online Historical References
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.