- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Batley Carr, West Yorkshire, England is a district partly in Dewsbury and partly in Batley, on the way to Dewsbury, along the A652, Bradford Road. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, the population is about 3,740.
Batley Carr housed the workers from the mills of Dewsbury, Batley and Batley Carr. As the settlement expanded, with the growth of textiles, there was a necessity for its own railway station (Staincliffe and Batley Carr railway station). The red brick station master's house still stands but is now a private residence.
Historically, Batley Carr was in the ecclesiastical parish of Batley in the Agbrigg Division of the wapentake of Agbrigg and Morley. From 1894 until 1974, Batley Carr was located in Batley Urban District.
- GENUKI on Batley Carr. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Batley provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Batley Carr.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!