The Town of Batavia was formed in 1802 along with the county. Batavia is centrally located in the county. The City of Batavia is surrounded by the town, but not part of the town.
The town was settled at the end of the 18th century. When Genesee County was created in 1802, it was created with one town: the Town of Batavia. At that time the county and its coterminous town encompassed most of western New York. The regional office of the Holland Land Company, the owner of all this territory, was located in the town, in the Village of Batavia, founded by Joseph Ellicott, the company's land agent. As other counties and towns were created, the territory of both the county and Town of Batavia shrank to its current size.