Place:Barton in Fabis, Nottinghamshire, England

Watchers


NameBarton in Fabis
Alt namesBarton-in-Fabissource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeVillage
Located inNottinghamshire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Barton in Fabis is a village and civil parish in the Rushcliffe district of Nottinghamshire. It has a population of about 250. The village is just south of Nottingham, being on the other side of the River Trent from Attenborough.

A ferry, Barton Ferry, used to cross the River Trent to the Attenborough side near to the mouth of the River Erewash. A ferry has crossed the River Trent at this point since before 1774.

The name originates from an older name, "Barton in the Beans" (Fabis being Latin for 'bean', in the abl. plural, one bean = una faba), apparently referring to the beans grown in the village. This name was also used for a Leicestershire village, Barton in the Beans, which has retained its name.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Barton in Fabis. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.