Place:Bartlow End, Essex, England

NameBartlow End
TypeCivil parish
Located inEssex, England
See alsoSaffron Walden Rural, Essex, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1946
Ashdon, Essex, Englandneighbouring parish into which it was absorbed in 1946
Uttlesford (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

Bartlow End was a civil parish from 1866 until 1946. Before and after those dates it was considered to be part of Ashdon, the adjoining civil parish to the west. As the map shows, it is a strip of land along the Saffron Walden Rural District border; this is also the Essex county border with Cambridgeshire. Bartlow itself is the adjacent parish in Cambridgeshire.

The parish was part of the Saffron Walden Rural District from 1894 until 1946 when it was absorbed into Ashdon. Since 1974 the area has been located in the Uttlesford District of Essex.

Research Tips