|Alt names||Church Bank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Radway Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Rushey Lake||source: hamlet in parish|
|Smith's Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Barthomley is a village and ancient parish, and is now a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 202. The village is situated near junction 16 of the M6 motorway and by the border with Staffordshire. It is about three miles south-west of Alsager.
The hamlet of Radway Green, location of a Royal Ordnance Factory, is within the parish, north-east of the village of Barthomley and just outside Alsager. There was a railway station in Radway Green, on the Crewe to Derby Line, as well as a station reserved for the factory at Millway. However, both of these are now closed. Radway Green and Barthomley station closed to goods traffic on 7 June 1964, followed by its closure to passengers on 7 November 1966.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Barthomley was an ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. Its church was dedicated to St. Bertoline.
As well as Radway Bank it includes the hamlets of Church Bank, Rushey Lake, Smith's Green, and Englesea Brook (which has been redirected to Weston by Crewe. The population was 184 in 1801, 450 in 1851, 292 in 1901 and 263 in 1951.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Barthomley, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England