A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Barrow from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
The same online source provides the following description from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
It is difficult to interpret these two entries, but it would appear that Barrow had associations with both Holystone and Alwinton ancient parishes and may have originally been part of Holystone and transferred to Alwinton at some unknown date. It became a separate civil parish in 1866 and in 1995 it was abolished and absorbed into the parish of Alwinton. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
On the Ordnance Survey Map of 1900 referenced below, Barrow civil parish is marked southwest of Alwinton while Holystone parish is to the east of Barrow with Harbottle parish in between.