|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1995)|
|See also||Holystone, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Alwinton, Northumberland, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Barrow from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BARROW, a township in Holystone parish, Northumberland; 10 miles WNW of Rothbury. Population: 14.
The same online source provides the following description from John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles of 1887:
- "Barrow, township, Alwinton par., W. Northumberland, 10 miles NW. of Rothbury, 1010 [acres], population: 11.
It is difficult to interpret these two entries, but it would appear that Barrow had associations with both Holystone and Alwinton ancient parishes and may have originally been part of Holystone and transferred to Alwinton at some unknown date. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. 1995 it was abolished and absorbed into the parish of Alwinton. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
On the Ordnance Survey Map of 1900 referenced below, Barrow civil parish is marked southwest of Alwinton while Holystone parish is to the east of Barrow with Harbottle parish in between.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Barrow, Northumberland, England | Holystone, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, England | Alwinton, Northumberland, England