Place:Barnoldswick, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBarnoldswick
Alt namesBarlawicksource: Domesday Book (1985) p 313
Bernulfesuuicsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 313
Gill Churchsource: GENUKI
TypeTown, Urban district, Civil parish
Coordinates54.134°N 2.508°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inLancashire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoPendle District, Lancashire, Englandadministrative district in which Barnoldswick has been located since 1974
Staincliffe Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Barnoldswick (colloquially known as Barlick) is a town and civil parish within the West Craven area of the Borough of Pendle in Lancashire, England just outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park and the Forest of Bowland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The town is built in the shadow of Weets Hill, and Stock Beck, a tributary of the River Ribble runs through the town. It has a population of 10,859.

Historically a part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, and situated on the lower slopes of Weets Hill in the Pennines astride the natural watershed between the Ribble and Aire valleys, Barnoldswick is the highest town on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, lying on the summit level of the canal between Barrowford Locks to the south west and Greenberfield Locks just north east of the town. It is approximately from the cities of Leeds, Manchester and Preston, and east southeast from the county town of Lancaster. Nearby towns include Clitheroe to the west, Nelson and Burnley to the south and Keighley to the east southeast.

Barnoldswick is one of the longest place names in the United Kingdom without repeating any letters. Buckfastleigh in Devon, Buslingthorpe in Leeds, West Yorkshire and Buslingthorpe in Lincolnshire are longer with 13 letters.

Barnoldswick was an urban district from 1894 until 1974 and previous to that was in the Skipton Registration District and in the wapentake of Staincliffe.

Barnoldswick absorbed the neighbouring village of Coates in 1923.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Barnoldswick. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.