Bannockburn (Scottish Gaelic Allt a' Bhonnaich) is a town immediately south of the city of Stirling in Scotland. It is named after the Bannock Burn, a burn (small stream) running through the town before flowing into the River Forth.
"BANNOCKBURN, a village and quoad sacra parish in the parish of St. Ninians, in the county of Stirling, Scotland, 3 miles to the S. of Stirling. It is a station on the Scottish Central railway. The village is situated in a glen on the banks of a small stream which has given name to the village, among the braes that slope up from the Firth of Forth, into which the Bannockburn falls. The village lies on the high road from Stirling to Falkirk and Edinburgh, and has a thriving trade. The manufacture of tartans, carpets, and other, woollen articles is carried or. to a considerable extent., There are several tan-yards. Bannockburn has a place in history as the scene of the great and decisive battle between the Scotch under Bruce and the English led by Edward II., on the 24th of July 1314, in which the English were defeated with immense loss, and Scottish independence was established. Memorials of that fierce struggle abound in the neighbourhood. There is the Bored Stone in which the Bruce set up his standard; Randal's Field, the scene of a skirmish on the eve of Bannockburn; Ingram's Crook, named after an English commander, and Gillies' Hill, where Bruce had placed the baggage and camp followers. Within a mile is Sauchie-burn, where James III. was defeated in 1488." [Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)] http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/STI/StNinians/Gaz1868.html