Bangor, also known as Coopers Gap, Copperas Gap, or Coppers Gap, is an unincorporated community in Blount County, Alabama. Nearby Bangor Cave housed a speakeasy during Prohibition and continues to be a popular attraction for area spelunkers.
Bangor is located near the former resort community of Blount Springs. Col. J. F. B. Jackson built a resort hotel in 1872 around the sulfur springs located in Blount Springs. In 1887, Jackson sold the land and hotel to James Sloss and his brother, Mack Sloss. Visitors to the springs occasionally made the four-mile trip to the northeast to visit the nearby Bangor Cave. Many notable patrons visited Blount Springs resort, including Lillian Russell and Diamond Jim Brady. The resort burned down on June 3, 1915. In 1937, the landowner, J. Breck Musgrove, convinced investors to provide funds for the construction of a nightclub in the cave. The cave soon included a bar, electric lighting, a bandstand, and a lounge for women. A locked room contained slot machines, roulette wheels, and card tables. A spur track of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad could drop visitors off at the entrance to the cave. The caveowners faced legal battles with Alabama governor Bibb Graves, and the Bangor Cafe Club was permanently closed in January 1939.