Place:Ballyforan, County Roscommon, Republic of Ireland

Watchers


NameBallyforan
TypeVillage
Coordinates53.766667°N 8.35°W
Located inCounty Roscommon, Republic of Ireland


Ballyforan is a village on the Tuam-to-Dublin Road, about 10 miles west of Athlone, on the border between County Roscommon and County Galway. The River Suck runs thru the village, and is popular with anglers for its abundant trout and pike.

The village is dominated by Claremont House, a derelict manor on lands formerly held by the Kelly family. It was established by Colla O'Kelly, 7th Lord of Screen, in 1601. He had sided with the English at the Battle of Kinsale, and was rewarded with the right to operate a nearby ferry over the Suck River between Ballyforan and its sister village of Muckloon. He operated this ferry until his death in 1615.

Ballyforan is situated in the Parish of Dysart and Tisara. FHLC #989755 has microfilmed the parish records for the years between 1850 and 1881.

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!