The Town of Ballston is in the south part of the County and is north of Schenectady.
The region was first settled around 1763. In 1775, the area became a District in Albany County.
In 1780, British forces attacked the northern part of the town and took captives back to Canada.
The area was originally called "Ball's Town" and "Ballton." The town was formed in 1785 while still in Albany County. The original owners of the town were the Mcdonald brothers. Eliphalet Ball bought the area of land from them and called it Ball's Town. Ball also paid the brothers 1 barrel of rum for the right to name the town after himself. Over time the name was shortened to Ballston.
Early settlers in this area feared attacks from Mohawks, who already inhabited the region and who resented the establishment of European buildings on their sacred grounds. One of Ballston's historic sites is Indian Rock, a large boulder where Mohawk tribesmen reputedly took white captives (children, in some cases) to torture and kill them.
Ballston Lake, a narrow, -long lake in the south of the region, was called "Shanantaha" by natives. It was known to early white settlers as Long Lake. The lake was part of the Mohawk River during the glacial age and archeological digs have unearthed artifacts indicating settlement around the lake as early as 3,500 BCE.
The depth of Ballston Lake, NY has never been recorded, due to the multiple caves that prevent divers from going to the bottom. There has been an artifact found that is dated 2000 B.C. It is also believed that a lake monster exists within one of the hundreds of caves. That is called by the natives Big Tim and has been spotted by multiple people.