|Type||Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||West Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||South Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|Yorkshire, England |
|See also||Doncaster Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district of which it was a part until 1895|
|Doncaster (metropolitan borough), South Yorkshire, England||metropolitan borough of which it has been a part since 1974|
|Strafforth and Tickhill Wapentake, West Riding of Yorkshire, England||wapentake in which it was located|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
When rural and urban districts were established in 1894, Balby-with-Hexthorpe was considered a civil parish within Doncaster Rural District in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The following year it was constituted an urban district in its own right. In 1921 the urban district was abolished to enlarge Doncaster Municipal Borough.
Historically it was in the ecclesiastical parish of Doncaster in the Lower Division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill.
Balby, the larger settlement, is now a suburb of Doncaster located to the south-west of the borough, while Hexthorpe is a small village located on the borough's edge. They both now lie within the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster, South Yorkshire, England which is a unitary authority.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The history of Balby dates back over 900 years with the first known record being in the Domesday Book with recorded names ' Ballesbi ' and ' Ballebi Balby is most probably named after someone of Norse origin, who settled there during the Viking period of the late 8th century to 11th century, who was called Bal. The name Ballesbi is derived from the Norse Bal (being the person) By meaning village and S denoting that the village belonged to him.
Balby (which then included Warmsworth), was home to several of the early followers of the Quaker religion in England, including Thomas Aldham, whose son William was instrumental in opening the first permanent meeting house in the area, in Quaker Lane, Warmsworth. Balby has long been associated, along with other areas of Doncaster, with having a large Quaker community.
More recently, the suburban town was a centre for steel and brass manufacture, especially at the well known Pegler's Brass Foundry and Bridon Ropery. In the early 20th century, St Catherine's Hospital was built in the south of Balby, near to the site of St. Catherines Well, an ancient site of healing and pilgrimage. It is now a hospital estate.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Hexthorpe.
- GENUKI on Balby and Hexthorpe. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Doncaster provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Balby-with-Hexthorpe.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps for what is now South Yorkshire, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.