According to the 2011 UK census, Bainton parish had a population of 334, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 282. The parish covers an area of 1,608.08 hectares (3,973.7 acres).
Bainton was served by Bainton railway station on the Selby to Driffield Line between 1890 and 1954.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.