Named for Commodore William Bainbridge, it is the only Bainbridge Township statewide.
The first residents of Bainbridge were the McConougheys, who came from Blandford, Massachusetts. Many other settlers followed. In 1817, Bainbridge Township was established. The first housing subdivision, Lake Lucerne, opened in 1922. It is still one of the largest in Bainbridge today.
The Geauga County Public Library opened a branch in Bainbridge in 1965. Initially located in a small storefront, the Bainbridge Library was expanded considerably upon moving to a new building.
In Spring 2005, students at Kenston High School compiled the Bainbridge Historical Society's historical photographs into a browsable website.